Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Fiddlers' Gathering 2011

Every summer I am drawn to the Indiana Fiddler's Gathering held in Battle Ground, Indiana, the last weekend in June. Battle Ground is about an hour's drive north of Indianapolis. The main focus of the festival showcases fiddle players, but there is always a potpourri of music. These are two of my favorite ukuleles, my Fluke and my cigar box uke.
There are always lots of vendors at this festival selling everything from homemade soaps to hula hoops.

My favorite group this year was La Vent du Nord. They were from Quebec and really put on a great show. The instrument on the left is a hurdy gurdy - not seen very often in Indiana.

The fiddle player also played percussion with his feet - it was great!

They were joined by uilleann pipe player Chris Layer, a local favorite. The uilleann pipes are the characteristic national bagpipe of Ireland, and they blend well with Northeastern seaboard's song traditions, as well as Breton and Celtic tunes.

I was accompanied by my handsome 14 year old grandson this year. He was interested in the guitars that were for sale - and also the food vendors.


I loved this girl's beautiful red hair.


And hula hoops are all the rage these days. What's old is new again!


























No comments:

Post a Comment